home | shopping | contact | projects | login|join
     Manco Dingo Go Cart       
Search Projects:
 
Share Thumbnails Slideshow Tutorial

Manco Dingo Go Cart
Submitted By: fixb52s
Date Created: 02-13-2007
Description: This Go Cart that followed me home was abused. The past 3 owners tried to fix it up, but gave up. I like a challange and the kids wanted it, so I rebuilt it from the ground up. It turned out that I spent some $ on parts, but selling off some of the non used parts helped make up for it. It would have been much cheaper to just slap on paint and reuse a lot of the old, but I am of the mindset of doing it right the first time.
Related Projects: (Manco Dingo Go Cart)
    Tear down
    Frame restoration
    Pedal stops
    Engine
    Reassembly
    Rear axle
    Floor mat
    Tires


Starting point
This is what I bought a few years ago. Seems like a standard 1 seat kart that looks good from the distance, but it has a lot of issues.

I determined this is a Manco "Dingo" cart. I found this on their website and determined this was a model 285 cart from the 90s based on the parts breakdown pictures. Manco is still in business, so I can still get parts.
Research


Finished
Now the issues are gone, and with a powercoated frame, it looks good even up close.

This cart has been worked on in the years. An incorrect fuel tank was slapped on the frame and held with bungie cord. Not real safe.
Gas tank = danger


Gas tank = safe
The new engine has it's built in tank so there are no safety issues as before.

The wheels are not original to the cart. They are a lot smaller than the ATV type that came with it from the factory. The rear live axle is bent, resulting in rear wheel wobble.
Incorrect wheels/tires


Correct Wheels
Big knobby tires will be better in the dirt than the trailer wheels. A new axle keeps them rolling straight.

The seat doesn't fit right. It looks like something from a 60s fair ride. The lower cushion doesn't even have foam.
Incorrect seat


Correct seat
The seat fits the frame like it should. Makes sense because this is The correct Dingo seat from Manco.

The tie rods were replaced by the previous owner, and the suspension appears intact. The pedals are bent and have some thick rubber pad that is falling off.
Controls


Controls that work
Steering wheel was replaced with a new one. New pedals are correctly mounted and actually work.

The engine is a Briggs and Stratton. I was told it is an 8 HP. The engine had an electric starter cobbled on with a lawn tractor battery. The air shroud is not complete with the pull start removed. The shroud was also cut with a torch to fit the starter motor. The starter is wedged between the seat and engine, not a good location.
Engine


New engine
A Tecumseh 5 HP was installed to replace the 8HP. With some work, it will put out as much power as the B&S. With the torque converter, it moves just fine. A lot more reliable than the old engine.

The clutch does not work properly. It catches when the engine is at idle. There is suppose to be a torque converter here.
Bad clutch


New torque converter
This Comet Torq-a-verter gives this cart a lot of range, from climbing hills to speed.

All projects on Shareaproject.com are user-submitted and should be used for reference information only. The projects are not intended to be complete "How-To" articles. Use the information contained in these projects at your own risk. Projects are not checked for completion, accuracy, or safety and therefore cannot be guaranteed in any way.
Outdoor Blog